Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies Of 2021

 Hello, dear reader!


Last year, I posted a list of my most anticipated 2020 films. Then the coronavirus happened. Long story short, a whopping three of the ten films on the list actually got released in 2020. So, my list of the most anticipated 2021 films has much of the same content, as so many movies were delayed to this year. Still, there are some differences as there are new exciting films in the making, and the order of some films has changed to due new information like trailers and casting decisions. These are the films that I'm most excited to see in 2021, here's hoping they get released on time!


Here are my honorable mentions: BIOS, F9, The Matrix 4, Untitled Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel, West Side Story


10. A Quiet Place Part II

Just before Covid-19 hit the fan, I had reserved tickets with two friends of mine to a double feature of A Quiet Place (2018) and its upcoming sequel in the local cinema. I'm really hoping that they bring this concept back once the sequel is released for real.

The first Quiet Place was one of the best horror movies of the 2010's, so I'm excited as hell for the sequel. I'm glad that John Krasinski is returning as director, and the story will take some interesting turns based on the trailer.

9. No Time To Die

With an almost 3-hour runtime, expert director Cary Joji Fukunaga behind the wheel, and boy-who-cried-wolf Daniel Craig swearing that this will be his final time playing Bond (for real, this time), this will be no ordinary 007 film. There's a lot to be excited about with No Time To Die, but the number one hype factor for me is the fact that Rami Malek is playing the film's villain. Malek is one the most skillful actors alive, and I can't wait to see him killing it as a Bond villain.

8. Halloween Kills

2018's Halloween was a surprisingly awesome follow-up to the original 1978 masterpiece, so I'm intrigued to see where the story of the long-running franchise will go from here. I speculated in my ranking of the franchise's films that Halloween Kills would kill off the franchise's iconic heroine Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis), thus passing the torch to her daughter Karen (Judy Greer), who was set up as a strong protagonist in the franchise's previous instalment. Come October, we'll see whether or not I was right - in any case, I'm sure we're in for some thrills and the welcome return of Michael Myers as well as the franchise's legendary soundtrack.

7. Godzilla Vs. Kong

I have a huge soft spot for Kaiju monster films. I absolutely love the original Godzilla (1954), I've enjoyed diving into the strange world of its sequels, and I've been impressed with Hollywood's take on the lore in its new "MonsterVerse". I am similarly a fan of the original King Kong (1933), as well as its 2005 remake by the wonderful Peter Jackson (more on him at #2).

So, seeing these two legendary movie monsters go up against each other in the culmination of the MonsterVerse should be really awesome - yes, I know that I sound like a little kid pitting his toys against each other. Look, cinema is a wide spectrum, and there's nothing wrong with a movie buff who enjoys Oscar-winning dramas and mega-entertaining monster fight movies equally.

6. Black Widow

When I heard that the Marvel Cinematic Universe would go on produce new films after Avengers: Endgame (2019), I rolled my eyes, figuring we don't need any more and Endgame was a good place to stop. When Spider-Man: Far From Home came out, I changed my view because the film was fun as hell and I realized that there's no harm in making more films when they keep being good and entertaining. And now that we've gone one and a half years without a new film from the franchise, I've realized that I miss the MCU. How far I've come.

Thankfully, we're not too far away from Black Widow, unless the Covid situation causes yet another delay. It'll be great to see Scarlett Johansson's fantastic superhero character taking the lead role for once, after being the MVP supporting character in so many Marvel movies.

5. In The Heights

Lin Manuel-Miranda's acclaimed Broadway musical In The Heights isn't familiar to me, as I haven't found the time and energy to invest myself in the soundtrack. But I'm familiar enough with Miranda's other works (have I mentioned that Hamilton is one of humanity's greatest achievements?) to know that he's a mastermind of the musical business, so a cinematic adaptation of his musical is enough to get me hyped.

Furthermore, the film's cast is a whirlwind of talent, between names like Anthony Ramos, Stephanie Beatriz, Jimmy Smits and Miranda himself. And the trailer for the film looks quite breathtaking. Bring it on!

4. The Many Saints Of Newark

If you're a fan of The Sopranos (1999-2007), you'll know why I'm so excited about this prequel film to the critically acclaimed series. Between the show's creator David Chase writing the script and longtime Sopranos director Alan Taylor directing it, as well as Michael Gandolfini (the son of the late great James Gandolfini) playing the role of a young Tony Soprano, I can't see a way that this film could fail. Some of the best actors in the business, such as Leslie Odom Jr. and Ray Liotta, have also been cast in the film, so there's that.

3. Top Gun: Maverick

I like Top Gun (1986) way more than is normal for an analytical movie buff. It's honestly one of my all-time favorite movies, for various subjective reasons. And I'm extremely pumped for this fantastic-sounding sequel. Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer are returning to their iconic roles, while awesome actors like Jon Hamm and Miles Teller are joining the supporting cast. Based on the trailer, it looks like the sequel has a chance of being just as loud, adrenaline-filled and badass as its original counterpart - here's hoping it delivers.

2. The Beatles: Get Back

There have been many documentaries about the most iconic rock band of them all, but no "definitive one" - probably because their story is so larger-than-life that it is hard to capture in a single documentary. I mean, who is ambitious enough to get a project like that done?

When the world of fantasy fans believed that the Lord Of The Rings books are too large in scope to be made into decent films, Peter Jackson accepted the challenge and proved them wrong by making the greatest film trilogy of all time. When fans of monster movies said that it's a terrible idea to remake a classic like King Kong, Peter Jackson accepted the challenge and proved them wrong by making a remake just as great as the original. Jackson is Hollywood's king of ambitious projects that may seem impossible, and that is why I have a ton of faith in his Beatles documentary. One of my favorite directors telling the story of my all-time favorite band sounds like the recipe for a masterpiece if I ever heard one.

1. Dune

For the second year in a row, Denis Villeneuve's Dune tops my list of the year's most anticipated films - maybe this year it'll actually get released. Everything that I hear about this film adaptation of one of my favorite books just makes me more excited. Every time I see a film by Villeneuve, I become more convinced that he's the man for the job. Every time the studio releases new promotional pictures of the film, I'm dazzled by how everything in them looks like Frank Herbert's book has come to life. Every time I see anything with Timothée Chalamet, I'm convinced that he's one of the greatest actors of my generation and the best possible casting choice for the powerhouse role of Paul Atreides.

I recognize the fact that much of today's blog has been reciting the names of famous actors who are going to be in a movie. But let me just say this - Jason Momoa. Oscar Isaac. Rebecca Ferguson. Zendaya. Josh Brolin. Dave Bautista. Stellan Skarsgård. Javier Bardem. And, as mentioned previously, Timothée Chalamet. That's an a-list cast if I ever saw one. And it's not just that it's an incredible collection of talented individuals - whether it's Bardem as the mysterious and reclusive Stilgar, or Zendaya as the sharp and likable Chani, every single one of the announced casting choices are just perfect for their roles, and I can already picture them as the book's main characters with ease.

Also, I enjoyed watching the trailer for this film more than I enjoyed watching some full-length movies in 2020.



Thank you for reading! Next week is Inauguration Day, so I'll be sharing my ranking of the 10 movies that define the Trump era.

No comments:

Post a Comment