Thursday, January 18, 2024

Top 10 Anticipated Movies of 2024

Greetings, reader!

It's once again that time of year - time for me to share the upcoming movies of 2024 that I'm looking forward to the most. Here are the year's most anticipated releases!

Here are my honorable mentions: Inside Out 2Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Mickey 17, Self Reliance, The Bricklayer.

10. Deadpool 3

I haven't been all that invested in the X-Men franchise ever since 2019's Dark Phoenix because, well, that's how bad Dark Phoenix was. However, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is always a blast. The first Deadpool film was downright groundbreaking, and the second was a good time as well, so I reckon the third one will continue with its share of entertainment value and fourth-wall-breaking fun.

9. Mean Girls

If you're wondering why the much-hyped Mean Girls remake (or, precisely, cinematic adaptation of the Broadway musical adapted from the original movie) isn't higher on my list like it would be for many people, it's simply because the original film wasn't a part of my upbringing and thus a major source of nostalgia like it is for many in my generation.

But, while I only saw Mean Girls (2004) for the first time in my adult age, I did enjoy it while appreciating its cultural impact. Add to that the widespread acclaim of the musical adaptation, the hype-worthy cast of this big-screen version and my unwavering trust in comedy genius Tina Fey's writing, and you have a movie that should by all accounts be a good time.

8. Bob Marley: One Love

I love me a good music biopic - a lot of people have been complaining that Hollywood is making too many of these, which I consider to be an extremely boring and close-minded way of viewing the fact that a lot of fascinating true stories of iconic musicians are being told in a delightful manner for us to enjoy! Bob Marley certainly deserves the blockbuster biopic treatment, as his music was so impactful and his life so intriguing. Looking forward to this one!

7. Nosferatu

Remakes of horror classics often turn out to be duds - but remakes of horror classics are rarely chosen as passion projects by cinematic masterminds of the Robert Eggers caliber. Eggers' debut feature film, The Vvitch (2015), was some of the best horror of the 2010's, and his follow-up work The Lighthouse (2019) was so spectacularly good that I would trust any project with his name on it. Eggers could announce he's doing Friday the 13th Vol XIV or a Sharknado reboot, and I'd put my money on it being the best horror flick of the upcoming year.

So, I have high hopes for his remake of the classic 1920's horror flick Nosferatu. Names such as Emma Corrin, Willem Dafoe and Bill Skarsgård in the cast certainly don't hurt the film's case either!

6. Joker: Folie à Deux

My first thoughts upon hearing that 2019's Joker is getting a sequel were the typical ones: this film didn't really need a sequel.

Then, I heard that Joaquin Phoenix's Joker will team up with this gritty DC universe adaptation's version of Harley Quinn, who will be played by Lady Gaga, and all of the sudden the film had both my curiosity and my attention. In addition to Phoenix and Gaga, the film will feature Zazie Beetz of Atlanta (2016-2022) fame in a major role, so I reckon that the quality of acting is one thing audiences can rest easy about when going to see Folie à Deux.

5. The People's Joker

Yes, I'm quite proud of the fact that this film is even higher on my list than the 'actual' Joker film coming in 2024. And yes, I know that Vera Drew's The People's Joker technically had its premiere in 2022 and technically again in 2023, but it never got the wide-spread cinematic release it aimed for, due to rights issues and bureaucratic battles. Now it sounds like the legal issues are finally taken care of, and the film is scheduled for a theatrical release in April 2024.

Why the rights issues? Well, because The People's Joker apparently isn't as much an adaptation of DC Comics, but rather a queer coming-of-age superhero parody. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently, Vera Drew wanted to draw on characters and elements from DC Comics to tell a story of trans rights, self-love and acceptance, and the way to do so was through wild humor and chaotic satire in a story centering on a portrayal of the Joker as a trans woman, played by the trans director herself.

Anyways, Warner Bros. wasn't very happy with the way their material was being adapted, and while I won't know the full picture before seeing the film, my gut tells me to side with the indie filmmaker wanting to tell an imaginative human-rights-centered story and not the big corporation putting wrenches in the gears.

4. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

As an average monster flick enjoyer, I've followed the new cinematic 'MonsterVerse' with intrigue, as combining the Japanese Kaiju lore with modern Hollywood's budget for gargantuan visuals has yielded entertaining results. 2014's Godzilla remake was decent, 2017's Kong: Skull Island a proper reboot, and 2019's Godzilla: King of the Monsters downright breathtaking.

While 2021's Godzilla vs. Kong ended up a bit below expectations, possibly signifying that the franchise saw its peak, there was still plenty to enjoy - and the promotional materials for Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire seem to promise more blockbuster Kaiju madness!

3. The Book of Clarence

Between his work on Netflix's all-Black western The Harder They Fall and Jay-Z's short film Legacy, musician and filmmaker Jeymes Samuel is quickly rising as a major voice in modern Hollywood - and his new film sounds amazing. Described as a 'biblical comedy', The Book of Clarence features the star power of Alfre Woodard, James McAvoy, and the most underrated actor in Hollywood in my opinion: LaKeith Stanfield of Atlanta (2016-2022) and Get Out (2017) fame.

Any project with these names attached to it sparks my interest, especially a biblical comedy with a trailer that looks like "if Spike Lee had directed Life of Brian".

2. Dune: Part Two

Delayed due to the actors' and writers' guild strikes in 2023, Denis Villeneuve's Dune sequel finds itself on my 'Most anticipated movies of the year' list for the second year in a row. The reasons for my hype remain the same: Dune (2021) was one of the greatest book-to-film adaptations I've ever seen, which means extra much as I love the book it's based on so much. Therefore, I can't wait for the story to continue, having loads of hype for how all my favorite parts from the second half of the book will play out on the big screen with Villeneuve's trustworthy directing and the film's dynamite cast. Can't wait for this one!

1. Community: The Movie

Of course the movie sequel to my all-time favorite sitcom is topping my list (once again - this one was also on last year's list, before its initial 2023 release was delayed). My hype for this one is quite simply unmatched. The series Community is so very special to me, that the idea of seeing those beloved characters once more on the big screen with a new story just fills me with joy.

There are so many directions they could take with the plot of this one, and I've spent my share of time imagining how it all might play out. Still, at the end of the day, I can rest easy not knowing any details until the movie arrives, as I have complete faith in Dan Harmon's writing and the dynamite work of the main cast. Six seasons and a movie, baby!




Thank you for reading! Tune in next week as I unveil the nominations for my annual Best of the Year awards, honoring the greatest cinema, television and music of 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

R.I.P. Tim Curry: Top 5 of his most unforgettable performances

Greetings, reader! First Dolly Parton, and then Tim Curry on the very next day...the giants among us have been dropping like flies this week...